Forms and Agreements for Industry and Partners

There are a variety of agreements under which you might work with Caltech. Below is a list of some of the more common Caltech-Industry agreements:

  • Non-Disclosure Agreement/Confidential Disclosure Agreement (NDA or CDA): A legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to or by third parties. We can quickly put in place an NDA.
  • License or Option Agreement: Describes the conditions under which the owner of intellectual property (the licensor, Caltech) allows another party (the licensee) to use, modify, and/or resell that property, in exchange for compensation (consideration). An option is a time-limited agreement that provides the optionee the right but not the obligation to enter into a license agreement at some time in the future. For more information, see Licensing Opportunities.
  • Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA): A legal contract between Caltech and an external sponsor for the purposes of funding and conducting research at Caltech. The SRA includes a defined scope of work and IP provisions. For more information, see Research Sponsorships.
  • Gift: A financial offering from a company to Caltech without any IP provisions or a defined scope of work (although the gift may be directed to certain research areas). See Gifts for more information.
  • Technical Services Agreement: Used for well-defined services or activities (not research projects) to be undertaken by Caltech employees. These services or activities may rely on equipment or expertise at Caltech. See here for more information.
  • Facilities Use Agreement: Allows for an outside party to use equipment or facilities at Caltech for a fee. See the Research Administration website for more information.
  • Collaboration Agreement: A legal contract entered into by two or more researchers engaged in a research project to specify the nature of their working relationship. It specifies the intent of the parties to share data, research materials and facilities, and to publish research findings. Money typically is not exchanged under a collaboration agreement. See Collaborations for more information.
  • Memorandum of Understanding (MOU): Used to express the intent and wishes of Caltech and an outside party, typically to define a relationship between the two parties.

Looking for information not in the above list? Please fill out our Corporate Engagement Survey or contact a member of the OTTCP team so we can help.